[Nexus] NXgetinfo for NX_CHAR datasets (HDF5 ONLY!!)

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Mon Mar 29 07:50:36 BST 2004

Dear Hartmut Gilde,

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Hartmut Gilde wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i forgot to mention, that the behaviour of NXgetinfo for NX_CHAR datasets
> described above only arises when using HDF5 as the underlying Format.
> With HDF4, NXgetinfo returns exactly what we would expect.

  sorry I was away from the office for a couple of days. This answers
  one of the questions I would have asked. NXgetinfo is supposed to
  behave the same independent of HDF4 or HDF5. If it doesn't this is a
  bug. As the HDF4 and HDF5 implementation use different libraries this
  may have happened.

  The second question is the sequence of calls you use. You need:
     NXmakedate(........)
     NXopendata(........)
     NXgetinfo(........)

  to get proper results. NXmakedata does not open the dataset. If you call
  NXgetinfo without a dataset open, the results are undefined and
  NXgetinfo should return NX_ERROR. Did you check for this? Please send a
  snippet of code which exhibits the problem so that we can look at it
  and solve the issue.

                                Best Regards,

					Mark Koennecke