[Nexus] 4th NIAC Meeting

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Sat Feb 4 15:06:39 GMT 2006

Dear colleagues,
The fourth meeting of the NeXus International Advisory Committee was held in
Grenoble this week.  It was the largest meeting so far and included, for the
first time, significant representation from synchrotron sources, with
attendees from the APS, Diamond, ESRF, and Soleil.  I believe that a number
of important issues were resolved although there are clearly many challenges
ahead partly related to having this expanded community.

A report and minutes will be written in due course, but I wanted to write
now because the committee has elected Peter Peterson (SNS) to be the new
chair and Andy Goetz (ESRF) and Emmanuel Farhi (ILL) to share the Executive
Secretary position.  It has been a privilege to serve as chair for the past
three years, but I'm delighted that others are now able and prepared to
assume the responsibility of guiding NeXus' future development.  I'm sure
that all of us who want to see NeXus firmly established in the neutron,
x-ray, and muon communities will offer them our full support and
encouragement.

Also at the meeting, Ron Ghosh stepped down as the ILL representative to be
replaced by Emmanuel Farhi.  Ron has been a vital part of NeXus development
since the earliest discussions, before it was called NeXus, particularly
because of his extensive experience in developing data formats at the ILL.
I would like to express my thanks for his contributions, and for the
efficiency with which he organized this latest meeting.

With best regards,
Ray Osborn
--
Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845