[Nexus] XML format--A way to serialize binary?

tieman tieman at aps.anl.gov
Wed Dec 6 16:13:02 GMT 2006

Hello all!

After much trial and tribulation (linking on Windows is a nightmare!) I
have all my windows programs using Nexus 3.0...on to linux!

Well, not quite yet...is there a way to serialize binary data into a
more compact format with NAPI?  I generally need to write image data
that can be quite large.  The "default" serialization method generates
an ascii string for each pixel.  While this is very readable--it
typically makes the files 4-5 times larger than encoding the data as
binary.  It would be nice to be able to write the image data as a raw
binary dump to save space.

I don't anticipate needing the use the XML format often, but XML would
make it easier to write a web app that can browse the data online for
instance...

Thanks!

Brian