[Nexus] Nexus with python on windows

Darren Dale darren.dale at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 20 21:30:36 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 02:22:24 pm Peterson, Peter F. wrote:
> Darren,
>
> I'm happy to see more people using NeXus.
>
> At the last NIAC meeting I volunteered to hand write a binding to the
> C-NAPI and attach to numpy (in python 2.5). Unfortunately, since that
> time I have been extremely busy and have not had a chance to start
> digging into the code.

I would be very interested in the product. Maybe interested enough to
contribute, depending on how much time I have available myself.

> PyTables looks like an interesting package for interacting with HDF5
> files. However, the committee feels as though language bindings should
> attach directly to the C-NAPI to allow for easier maintenance.

This is my feeling as well. Does anyone know if there has been any news
concerning an object-oriented API? This page caught my attention:
http://www.nexusformat.org/OO-NeXus.

> I have
> seen similar efforts (can recall who) of people using IDL's HDF5
> bindings to write NeXus files. They ended up putting a thin layer
> between to make sure that the resulting files were readable by the NeXus
> API.

Darren