[Nexus] question about NeXus classes

Peterson, Peter F. petersonpf at ornl.gov
Fri Jul 25 18:35:13 BST 2008

Darren,

Thank you for the question.

The current philosophy of classes is that they are to be thought of as
dictionaries. If you are familiar with xml schema (xsd) the "any" tag is
appropriate. This means that there is one NXdetector which covers all
the various types of detectors in existence. If a particular detector
needs another field that isn't in the current NXdetector, then it should
be added. Subclassing is not an idea that can be applied to the base
classes.

However, the NIAC has noted the similarities in several of classes and
applying the object oriented design techniques such as subclassing. The
committee agreed that this is the direction for the future, but are
waiting until the current definitions (v2.0) can be finalized.

Peter Peterson