[Nexus] NeXus - a solution to what is not the real problem ?

Wuttke, Joachim j.wuttke at fz-juelich.de
Tue Mar 9 16:40:35 GMT 2010

Dear Mark:

> If you have a common raw data format, then you may share the data
> reduction program which produces the S(Q,omega). The attempt to
> do this is worthwhile. You already admitted that this can be done
> in a fairly generic way.

Yes, that's what I am standing up for: I hope to convince my colleagues
that such a shared data reduction program should be developed.
90% of the code will be the same for all instruments. Each instrument
scientist ought just contribute 10%, containing raw-data read-in and
calibration. However, these 10% will be instrument specific in any case,
independently of the raw data format. Hence my claim that NeXus,
in our case at least, is addressing an interface of minor importance.

> The processed S(Q,omega) data which the user analyses
> NeXus actually tries to address both levels. An application definition
> for S(Q,omega) is actually on the NeXus TODO list and can come
> quickly into existence if some expert gives more details on the
> minimum content required for such a file.

Again, this will just be one more church on the market - unless the
maintainers of the most popular data analysis programs can be
brought to agree on the format and to actively support it.

> It is largely a matter of philosophy if the data reduction to energy
> should happen directly in the DAQ SW.

At SPHERES, energy determination is done prior to scattered neutron
histogram incrementation. Everything else would be a great leap back.

Best - Joachim

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt