[Nexus] NeXus - a solution to what is not the real problem ?

Wuttke, Joachim j.wuttke at fz-juelich.de
Tue Mar 9 18:58:29 GMT 2010

Concerning the API, Brian has described how a scientist works around
to retrieve a binary block from a huge data file. Let me just consider the
opposite case of retrieving a scalar from a small data file: to automatize
looking up when a measurement was started, I need no more than

#!/usr/bin/ruby
require 'yaml'
f = open("raw_data_file_name")
d = YAML::load(f)
puts d['Shortpar']['scan_since']

Hence my claim that YAML has obsoleted any more complex API.

- Joachim

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt