[Nexus] Writing and reading Nexus files in Matlab

freddie.akeroyd at stfc.ac.uk freddie.akeroyd at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 14 19:35:01 BST 2010

If the NeXus files are in hdf5 format then reading is relatively easy -
matlab provides commands to load the data directly into a matlab array.
For more details see

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/hdf5read.html

with regard to writing, nexus adds additional attributes to an HDF5 file
to indicate the "nexus class" of an item. It would be possible to create
a NeXus file using the matlab hdf5write command, but you would need to
add these additional attributes by hand to make it readable by other
nexus utilities. These problems would be solved by a native matlab API
for NeXus - it is on the todo list, but we haven't quite got round to it
yet. What sort of timescale were you looking at to start using NeXus
files?

Regards,

Freddie