[Nexus] which SAS instrument can serve as example for state-of-the-art NeXus usage? more examples are needed anyway.

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 20:22:18 BST 2011

Joachim:

Good question.

First point:
------------

The FAQ wording is not meant to offend or to be disconcerting.  That
will be changed to better reflect the consensus that forms this question.

Second question:
----------------

Yes, the answer is unsatisfactory because the situation is
unsatisfactory.  At present, we have no files amongst the examples
available which have been written to the NXsas specification.  I have
received a couple of files that have been written to (almost) comply
with past revisions of NXsas but those examples should not be posted yet.

The NXsas specification, like all the other NXDL files, is pre-release.
  We expect to be releasing them before the end of 2011.  The
specification is open for review and revision at this time.

At minimum, a single example, compliant with NXsas, is needed.

We have one instrument here at the APS writing raw 2-D data files (from
a Pilatus 100k) according to NXsas.  These files do not yet have the
reduced I(Q) stored.  When they are deemed good enough, one or more will
be picked from the "conveyor belt" and posted to the examples repository.

There are also many example files from the canSAS1d/1.0 data standard
which I will convert into 1-D versions of the NXsas specification.  This
will happen likely before the NXDL is released, but the release does not
depend on these examples.

If I write my data according to the current NXsas specification, will
other software be able to read my data?  Yes.  NXsas, like other
application definitions, defines and names the minimum information
required for analysis or data processing.  If other information is also
present, there is no guarantee that SAS analysis software will notice.

Third question: Which SAS instrument use NXsas?

It is time for a show of hands since we have no list.
Here's what I know:

* APS 15ID-C USAXS/Pinhole SAXS uses it for the pinhole instrument
* ANSTO Quokka has written data to it
* others?

Regards,
     Pete