[Nexus] DECTRIS again

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:27:48 BST 2012

exposure_time
-------------

same problems for me on exposure_time ...

http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/base_classes/NXdetector.html

In the current NXdetector, we have no "exposure_time" field (although
the docstrings for "trigger_dead_time" and "frame_time" use it to define
these fields).

What is the difference between the proposed "exposure_time" and the
already existing fields?  (I don't see the difference.)

   count_time   Elapsed actual counting time

   NXdata/real_time
                real-time of the exposure
                (use this if exposure time varies for
                each array element, otherwise use
                count_time field)

frame_time
----------

Also, the definition provided for "frame_time" is not clear at all.  As
it reads now:

frame_time = exposure_time + detector_readout_time

     time at which data is sent to readout-computer,
     i.e. defines the speed of the data collection
     or the speed and can be put on the same level
     as exposure time for an integrating detector
     (like a CCD, Imaging Plate,...)

The math says it is an elapsed time (NX_NUMBER), such as "422.3 s".
First line of comment suggests to me this is a time on the
    clock (ISO-8601 time) such as "2012-10-18 11:02:05 CDT"
Second line says it is a speed (mathematical inverse of a time).
Third line makes no sense unless missing words are added.
Fourth line says it is a time.

detector_readout_time
---------------------

Regarding the comment for "detector_readout_time" (this field already
exists in NXdetector), should this comment be added to the existing
docstring for this field?  Better to "blend" it in, such as:

detector_readout_time
	    Time it takes for a complete readout of detector chips
	    (typically milliseconds).  Defines the minimum time
	    after which the detector can count again.
	    This is important to know for time resolved experiments.

all detectors consist of multiple elements

This should be at the heart of the NXdetector model, allowing for N
multi-dimensional elements.  Even allow for the pathological case where
one element might be 1-D while another might be 2-D.  (Who has such a
beast?)  Each element has a geometry and offset that can be different
from any other.  The notion that any or all elements can be resolved
down to a 2-D image is not guaranteed (such as for the pathological case
noted above or the case described by Tobias) but should be possible for
design where an image is logical, such as the Pilatus or Eiger
detectors.  The job of NXdetector is to store the data from a detector,
including a description of the arrangement of all the detector elements
in their native dimensions: spatial, spectral, chronological, etc.

Maybe it is time for a complete review of NXdetector in its entirety?

Do we have a good example use of "NXdetector_group"?
The proposition of "NXdetector_module (or "NXdetector_element") might
affect "NXdetector_group".

Pete