[Nexus] DECTRIS again

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Thu Oct 25 14:20:57 BST 2012

On Oct 25, 2012, at 1:22 AM, V. Armando Solé <sole at esrf.fr> wrote:

> I do not know if Mark suggested that "we can work on different time scales for adding Dectris definitions and making sure files can be reliably understood on the other hand" but it seems to me that it is of your interest to get Dectris adopting something that you can call "NeXus" and not something you can only call "HDF5".

Well, this is the NeXus mailing list, not the HDF5 mailing list?

> Just to illustrate my point of view: if needed, I would go as far as accepting an NX_DECTRIS group giving them full freedom (what  in fact they have it)

Because when we write software to access detectors, we will have to write it as a bunch of switch statements for every proprietary detector (and then read the manual for every one).

I would like to contribute to this debate if I can, but it's now become impossible to follow the thread. Can I suggest that this kind of discussion is better handled on the wiki, with its attached comment statement. Mark did a good job of stating the problem at the beginning, although I am a bit behind the curve on the way that CIF handles geometries. Can that be put on a wiki page and modified by Mark whenever a consensus emerges, resulting in a final vote by the NIAC? Mark probably needs to prompt the list if the wiki becomes inactive, but at least the thread of comments will be easier to follow.

Also, what is the deadline? If DECTRIS need an answer by a certain date, we had better honour it if possible.

Just my thoughts,
Ray Osborn, Senior Scientist
Materials Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory