[Nexus] DECTRIS again

"V. Armando Solé" sole at esrf.fr
Thu Oct 25 14:45:53 BST 2012

Hi Ray,

On 25/10/2012 15:20, Ray Osborn wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2012, at 1:22 AM, V. Armando Solé <sole at esrf.fr> wrote:
>
>> Just to illustrate my point of view: if needed, I would go as far as accepting an NX_DECTRIS group giving them full freedom (what  in fact they have it)
> Because when we write software to access detectors, we will have to write it as a bunch of switch statements for every proprietary detector (and then read the manual for every one).

You seem to have missed the "if needed" :-)

I know that it would be a pain to have to follow all the switch
statements, but unfortunately I am afraid that is going to be anyways
the case because the NX_detector group on its own is too broad because
it covers 0D, 1D and 2D detectors. Of course this is just my opinion and
I exposed it on last NIAC where I gave a testimonial vote in a
discussion concerning the NXdetector group.

I put all my hope about getting something useful out of NeXus on the
application definitions. Therefore I do not provide excessive relevance
to *where* the data are. *What* the data are is a completely different
history and things like pixel size and exposure time should mean the
same for every 2D detector.

Best regards,

Armando