[Nexus] problems with current stable of nxbrowse and nxdir

Osborn, Raymond rosborn at anl.gov
Fri Sep 13 17:39:56 BST 2013

I'm attaching the python tree for the entire file in case people want to look at the text. I was able to open the file in NeXpy without problem, but as Pete says, I had to add both 'signal=1' and 'axes="x"' attributes to the 'data' group to get it to plot (also attached). I confess I'm not familiar with the 'nexdatas_source' attribute. The python API seemed to handle it okay as a string attribute (as did my NXbrowse 4.3).

Ray

On Sep 13, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Pete Jemian <prjemian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aside from matters of variable-length string attributes, monochromator design, and the capabilities of X-ray scientists...
>
> Did anyone point out that you are missing the required signal=1 attribute on your dataset (/entry/data/data)?  Here is what you need to be compliant:
>
> tstfile_00012.h5:NXroot
>  entry:NXentry
>    data:NXdata
>      data:dataset
>        @signal=1
>
> Pete
>

> On 9/10/2013 3:54 AM, Wintersberger, Eugen wrote:
>> Hi folks
>>   I got some reports that nxbrowse and nxdir do not work with the Nexus
>> files we produce here at DESY. I can confirm this on my Debian system
>> where libnexus0 is installed in version 4.2.1.
>>
>> I suspect that this still has a problem that we are using variable
>> length strings and thus cannot read attribute data correctly. I have
>> attached a file for testing. By the way can someone may have a look at
>> the file if we got it at least a bit right ;)
>>
>> @Benjamin - this file does not collect non-standard fields into
>> NXcollection as we discussed in Warwick. However, our new setups do. I
>> am still working on the draft for a kind of 'best-practice' paper and I
>> hope I can submit it to this mailing list this week.
>>
>> regards
>>   Eugen

Ray Osborn, Senior Scientist
Materials Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Phone: +1 (630) 252-9011
Email: ROsborn at anl.gov
[cid:a31e860b-f034-49f3-ad18-a779a06167e6 at localhost]