[Nexus] Available Mac OS X binaries are 32 bit or really old?

Peter Kjær Willendrup pkwi at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Nov 6 08:45:40 GMT 2013

Hi there,

As you probably know I develop the McStas code http://www.mcstas.org, which has had a NeXus-output implementation for something like a decade.

In relation to a recent effort to output slightly more “Mantid friendly” output, I have had a look at the combination of McStas, Mantid and NeXus across platforms.

It turns out that for NeXus on Mac OS X I have the choice of either
* 4.3.0 http://download.nexusformat.org/kits/macosx/4.3.0/10.5-Leopard/NeXus-4.3.0.dmg
 - which is unfortunately 32bit only?
* 4.2.1 http://download.nexusformat.org/kits/macosx/old/NeXus-4.2.1.dmg
 - which is “fat binaries” including 32 and 64 bit for both Intel and PPC (the latter is long gone)

The last couple of OS X distros are pure 64bit, so the 4.3.0 is unfortunately not so useful.

It seems that maybe the Mantid folks are building their own distribution of NeXus on 64bit Mac OS - this is the status of the libs in the Mantid Third_party/lib repository:

willend at pkwi-mbp15:~/Projects/Mantid-git/mantid/Code/Third_Party/lib/mac64$ file libNeXus*
libNeXus.0.dylib:    Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libNeXus.a:          current ar archive random library
libNeXus.dylib:      Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libNeXus.la:         libtool library file
libNeXusCPP.0.dylib: Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libNeXusCPP.a:       current ar archive random library
libNeXusCPP.dylib:   Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libNeXusCPP.la:      libtool library file

May I suggest that a common effort is done with the Mantid folks to make a 64bit distribution available to people on the OS X platform?

Best,

Peter

Peter Kjær Willendrup
Development engineer