[Nexus] proposed additions to NXdata for non-linear scaling - to aid cbf interoperability

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:30:53 GMT 2014

Ben:

On 3/14/2014 10:16 AM, Benjamin Watts wrote:> Armando,
 >     I think you are missing the point about who would be "doing the
 > work" for an NXformula. If we make it part of the standard, then
 > everyone who wants to read NeXus files will need to include this
 > feature. The people writing this software will also be "us". Therefore,
 > including NXformula in Nexus must involve a commitment to implement it.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Ben

This misses my point.  We have two components to NeXus:
[1] the standard, defined by NXDL (nxdl.xsd and the .nxdl.xml files)
[2] the NAPI, implemented in several languages

It is not possible to provide the implementation of NXformula in the
standard.  The NAPI is the logical place to implement this.  Since the
NAPI is not used by everyone, how can we ensure a commitment to
implement it from those who do not use the NAPI?

Or, perhaps you suggest that implementation of NXformula be implemented
in the NAPI and that implementation is used (perhaps with Python
examples) to demonstrate examples to the part of the community that does
not use the NAPI to read NeXus data files?

Pete