[Nexus] proposed additions to NXdata for non-linear scaling - to aid cbf interoperability

Rolf Krahl rolf.krahl at helmholtz-berlin.de
Tue Mar 18 12:15:26 GMT 2014

Am Freitag, 14. März 2014, 15:15:13 schrieb V. Armando Solé:
> I forgot to add that *perhaps* is simpler to embed a Python interpreter
> in C or C++ (and then you are done a lot of functions) than to wrap/add
> muParser for just one functionality.

I'm rather sceptic to use Python eval syntax here.  Depending on
details of the implementation it will give the creator of the NeXus
file the ability to execute arbitrary code in the reader's machine
using the reader's privileges.  Using any NeXus client implmenting
this feature one would need to be very carful to read NeXus files from
trusted sources only.  This seem to spoil the purpose of NeXus to be a
common data format to facilitate the cooperation in the scientific
community.

It will be much easier to keep the impact on security issues under
control if one uses a syntax that is by design strictly limited to
mathematical expressions, such as muParser.

Rolf

--
Rolf Krahl <rolf.krahl at helmholtz-berlin.de>
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB)