[Nexus] NeXus facility survey

Carlos Pascual cpascual at cells.es
Mon Sep 15 09:36:09 BST 2014

Hi, here are the answers for Alba (sorry for the late reply, I am just
back from holidays)

Facility Name:
Alba

Facility Logo URL:
http://www.cells.es/logo.png

Total number of beamlines/instruments:
7 BLs

NeXus is written on this many beamlines/instruments:
7

NeXus is the primary format for this many of them:
7

We are using the following back ends (valid choices HDF5, HDF4, XML):
HDF5

Any migration plans for the future:
No

Recent developments:
Only minor improvements in our

We use the following software packages to browse, analyse or process
NeXus:
Sardana (our control system) writes, browses and shows NeXus data,
PyMca, Hdfview, imagej, custom python scripts and GUIs,...

The following application definitions are in use here:
NXscan
NXtomo

An average NeXus file contains this many datasets:
(this produces that number:  nxdir -p . FILENAME | grep -v \# | wc -l)
Our files typically contain many *entries* (e.g. all the scans done
during a certain experiment). Each entry usually contains many datasets
(in the order of 20 and many of them duplicated via links)

Just to provide a number, the proposed command for a randomly picked file
returns:
~> nxdir -p . 20140520.h5 | grep -v \# | wc -l
3830

We use NAPI for writing:
Yes

For reading:
Yes, but not exclusively. We also use h5py

On Thu 4 September 2014 16:44:36 Tobias.Richter at diamond.ac.uk wrote:
> I have the pleasure of giving the traditional talk about the state of
> NeXus at this year's NOBUGS conference. Ideally I could get an up to
> date picture of NeXus use at the different facilities from
> http://wiki.nexusformat.org/Facilities Unfortunately that page has
> only been edited twice in the last two years. That is why I need to
> ask here.
>
> On the plus side that means I can ask for a bit more information than
> traditionally is on the wiki page. Below is a list of things I might
> like to know. If you have interesting graphs (NeXus files per year or
> the like) or additional data you would like to share, please!
>
> Facility Name:
> Facility Logo URL:
> Total number of beamlines/instruments:
> NeXus is written on this many beamlines/instruments:
> NeXus is the primary format for this many of them:
> We are using the following back ends (valid choices HDF5, HDF4, XML):
> Any migration plans for the future:
> Recent developments:
> We use the following software packages to browse, analyse or process
> NeXus: The following application definitions are in use here:
> An average NeXus file contains this many datasets:
> (this produces that number:  nxdir -p . FILENAME | grep -v \# | wc -l)
> We use NAPI for writing:
> For reading:
>
> There is no formal deadline. What I receive in more than ten days time
> may not end up being used for the talk, though. Things can still go
> up on the wiki page after that date though.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tobias
>

> --
>
> This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential, copyright
> and or privileged material, and are for the use of the intended
> addressee only. If you are not the intended addressee or an
> authorised recipient of the addressee please notify us of receipt by
> returning the e-mail and do not use, copy, retain, distribute or
> disclose the information in or attached to the e-mail.
>
> Any opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the individual
> and not necessarily of Diamond Light Source Ltd.
>
> Diamond Light Source Ltd. cannot guarantee that this e-mail or any
> attachments are free from viruses and we cannot accept liability for
> any damage which you may sustain as a result of software viruses
> which may be transmitted in or with the message.
>
> Diamond Light Source Limited (company no. 4375679). Registered in
> England and Wales with its registered office at Diamond House,
> Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0DE,
> United Kingdom

 Carlos Pascual Izarra
 Scientific Software Coordinator
 Computing Division
 ALBA Synchrotron  [http://www.albasynchrotron.es]
 Carretera BP 1413 de Cerdanyola-Sant Cugat, Km. 3.3
 E-08290 Cerdanyola del Valles (Barcelona), Spain
 E-mail: cpascual at cells.es
 Phone: +34 93 592 4428