[Nexus] Alternative backends

Paul Kienzle paul.kienzle at nist.gov
Mon Sep 15 21:01:12 BST 2014

On Sep 15, 2014, at 5:30 AM, Joachim Wuttke <j.wuttke at fz-juelich.de> wrote:

>> Facility Name:
> Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Zentrum
>>> Recent developments:
> almost decided to go for YAML as physical format for data archival
> at low-data rate instruments

We are also considering an alternative backend which is friendlier to javascript.  Basically a zip file with a JSON index defining the NeXus structure and storing the small fields, plus binary files for large arrays.  With no HDF dependency we can do browser viewing and plotting without users having to install anything, and without a round trip to the server.  We have some prototype python tools to convert to and from hdf5, but haven’t had time to formalize the definition and send it to the committee.

  - Paul

Paul Kienzle
pkienzle at nist.gov