[Nexus] Advice on using NeXus for neuroscience data?

Jeff Teeters jteeters at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 1 21:56:16 BST 2014

Hi,
I'm helping to coordinate a project (called "Neurodata Without Borders",
described below), which has the goal to develop a standard file format for
neurophysiology data.   It seems likely that HDF5 will be used as the basis
for the standard format, but the organization of data and metadata within
the HDF5 file still must be determined.  I'm interested in any opinions or
input about the following:
a. Is NeXus potentially useful for domains unrelated to particle physics
experiments?
b. Are there any examples of NeXus being used in other domains?
c. What other methods of specifying the organization of data in an HDF5
file might be applicable for this project?
Thanks,
Jeff Teeters
Redwood Center for Theoretical Neuroscience
UC Berkeley