[Nexus] NeXus update

Pete Jemian jemian at anl.gov
Wed Jan 21 17:47:52 GMT 2015

On 1/21/2015 11:25 AM, V. Armando Sole wrote:
> To store x and y as (n_rows, ncolumns) with the product n_rows *
> n_columns equal to n_points is *not* convenient.

This is exactly the case for multi-dimensional data acquired with the
EPICS "sscan" record and stored in APS "MDA" data files.  We have many
beam lines at the APS using this.

In many cases, saving x as float[n_rows] is just fine.  In some cases, x
is from a readback device with jitter or drift.  That's when x must be
stored as float[n_rows * ncolumns].  It's a real nuisance to store this
and visualize, but that is the real-world situation.

Prior to December 2014, NeXus had no tools to describe this structure
for visualization.  NeXus should make it possible to represent this type
of data but it should not be required for all data to use this
structure.  The 1% case should not require the 99% to abide by the same
requirements but the 99% should not rule out the possibility of the 1%.

Pete

Pete R. Jemian, Ph.D.                <jemian at anl.gov>
Beam line Controls and Data Acquisition, Group Leader
Advanced Photon Source,   Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL  60439                   630 - 252 - 3189