[Nexus] Basic questions about application definitions

Andrew GOETZ andy.gotz at esrf.fr
Thu Feb 12 16:39:16 GMT 2015

Hi,

at the ESRF we were looking at the application definitions and saw by
chance that the fluorescence one:

http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/applications/NXfluo.html

has a typo in it which makes it unusable as it is :

*data*: /NXdata/
<http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/base_classes/NXdata.html#nxdata>

    *energy* –> /entry/instrument/fluorecence/energy

    *data* –> /entry/instrument/fluorecence/data

This begs the question : how many sites are using the Application
definitions and how do you get around the bugs?

A second question we had is that the way the application definitions are
defined today implies they duplicate data in the file instead of linking
to it. This is because they insist on creating NXsubentry. Please
correct me if we have misunderstood the use of NXsubentry.

Our second question is : does this bother anyone else than us?

Kind regards

Andy + Christophe