[Nexus] Basic questions about application definitions

Pete Jemian jemian at anl.gov
Thu Feb 12 16:55:43 GMT 2015

Good question.

On 2/12/2015 10:39 AM, Andrew GOETZ wrote:
> A second question we had is that the way the application definitions are
> defined today implies they duplicate data in the file instead of linking
> to it. This is because they insist on creating NXsubentry. Please
> correct me if we have misunderstood the use of NXsubentry.

At the 2014 Code Camp, we discussed whether application definitions must
always be used as NXsubentry or might they be used in place of NXentry.
  The point was raised because of this specific confusion, as you voiced it.

The answer is that an application may be used as either NXentry or
NXsubentry.  The latter usage is obvious for a multi-technique
instrument such as SAXS/WAXS.  But a single-technique instrument should
not be required to place an application definition as a child of the
NXentry.

 > This begs the question : how many sites are using the Application
 > definitions and how do you get around the bugs?

Use of the Application definitions is growing.  I'm not sure how we can
accurately measure the use across the community.

Bugs should be reported to the NeXus forum.  Thanks for your report!

The bug you reported (took me a few minutes to see it) is a common typo
and will be resolved by the one who writes the file, either by changing
the text of the link or changing the name of the detector group.  Or the
data file stays in error until someone notices.

Pete

Pete R. Jemian, Ph.D.                <jemian at anl.gov>
Beam line Controls and Data Acquisition, Group Leader
Advanced Photon Source,   Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL  60439                   630 - 252 - 3189