[Nexus] Basic questions about application definitions

Tobias Richter Tobias.Richter at esss.se
Thu Feb 12 17:07:04 GMT 2015

Dear Andy,

To answer your first second question first (before I forget): I have not come across anything in NeXus that requires you to duplicate data. Linking is always allowed. There are some opposite cases like the one you quote below, where linking is mandated in a particular way. In my view that’s more of a legacy item. As long as data can be retrieved from the specified location using the underlying contain format, I don’t care how it gets there.

Otherwise Pete has written something on subentry that may help. If it doesn’t speak up!

The majority of the application definitions where generated at some point far back in time with the best intentions. You have to start somewhere, right? Most facilities are only now slowly taking up the task to implement them (fully). When problems are found we try and resolve them. Unfortunately there is not yet an army of volunteers out there that implements and tests everything for us.

Regards,

Tobias