[Nexus] Status of NAPI

Tobias Richter Tobias.Richter at esss.se
Sun Jun 21 19:04:25 BST 2015

Hi Andy,

The official policy just reflects the (perceived) requirements of the community. Your thoughts are correct NAPI is not recommended for new applications. And yes, the manual hasn’t been updated in all areas to reflect this. Please point us to the relevant sections you find unclear. Someone reading the texts with fresh eyes can really make a difference.

Since we focus on HDF5 now, the NAPI backend abstraction (supporting XML and HDF4 in addition) isn’t needed for that. NAPI also provides nothing that would ensure files follow the standard and very little that would at least make conforming easier. So the only benefit is some slight simplification of the hdf5 interface, which denies some of the power of the underlying container format.

That being said, NAPI is not disappearing any time soon, while people rely on it. We should drop support for unused bindings though.

In my view in the long run, some reference application or tools would still be needed to be able to demonstrate interoperability.

Regards,

Tobias