[Nexus] Targets for the NAPI build - a new try with a poll

Osborn, Raymond rosborn at anl.gov
Mon Jun 22 16:35:52 BST 2015

Eugen,
I filled in the poll and, of course, stated that Python was important to me. However, my personal view is that we should deprecate the Python bindings in the NAPI release, and refer people to the nexusformat package (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/nexusformat), which contains the underlying API without the NeXpy GUI. This API does not have a dependency on the NAPI, since it uses h5py directly, so it doesn’t have to be installed at the same time. The old Python binding may need to be kept for legacy reasons, since the new one doesn’t read HDF4 or XML, but such files could probably be easily converted to HDF5 if nxconvert is maintained.

Ray
P.S. The DISCUS simulation package is written in F90 and was recently converted to output NeXus files, so there is still a need for it. I don’t think the DISCUS author wants to have to learn how to use HDF5 when a simple NAPI example showed all that he needed to do.