[Nexus] some questions about NXdetector_module

Eugen Wintersberger eugen.wintersberger at desy.de
Wed Jul 1 13:13:55 BST 2015

Hi Tobias

> > issue 3.)
> > If we want to handle 3D detector as well we maybe should ad a
> > `medium_pixel_direction` field ;)
>
> Annoyingly that is something I will have to worry about. I’m not sure I like your
> name, mainly because I am not sure I would want to sandwich z into x and y.
> The defaults assumption with fast/slow should still give you a not too strange
> image, if possible.

I think the best way to deal with this would be to add a
`fastest_pixel_direction` field. I made some updates on the branch where
I think provide a solution for how to deal with the different
dimensions.

> In your detector.txt you assume that all 2d detector measure “area”.
> Not all detectors do imaging in the widest sense. There are those that record
> angle vs energy. Or space vs wavelength.

My interpretation of the `layout` field is that it just says how the
sensitive region of the detector looks. A 0D detector is a `point` (ok,
one can argue now that all theses detectors have naturally an area).
`linear` is a strip and `area` is a 2D surface.

> Nice to have images as well! I have not checked them for correctness yet.

Images, when drawn correctly, usually save a lot of text ;)

Please have a look on the current branch - I made some updates in
particular concerning the NXdetector_module section.

> Regards,
>
> Tobias

DI. Dr. Eugen Wintersberger

FS-EC