[Nexus] Introducing netCDF Explorer

Pedro Vicente pedro.vicente at space-research.org
Mon Nov 2 06:37:18 GMT 2015

Today we announce the release of a new product, netCDF Explorer.

netCDF Explorer is multi-platform graphical browser for netCDF files. netCDF Explorer can browse files locally or remotely, by means of OPeNDAP.

It is available at

http://www.space-research.org/

Downloads are available for Mac, Windows and Linux. Source code is available at GitHub.

https://github.com/pedro-vicente/netcdf-explorer

netCDF Explorer follows the design of our flagship product, HDF Explorer.

HDF Explorer recently reached the mark of 30,000 users. It has become the most widely acclaimed browser for HDF files.

HDF Explorer was developed only for the Windows platform, and one request we frequently have is the availability for Mac and Linux. When HDF Explorer was written, there was not available a good (or any, for that matter), cross platform GUI framework written in C++.

We recently came across with an excellent GUI framework that is a joy to work with, that allows the deployment to Mac, Linux, and Windows with one source code base. So, a project that was on the back burner for many years, quickly came to light in the short time frame of one month. The first product is netCDF Explorer.

Due to the short time of development, netCDF Explorer can be considered as a simple start with a lot of room to grow.

Nonetheless we decided to release it at this time to get a feeling of netCDF/HDF/OpenDAP user's comments, suggestions, or any problems they may encounter examining their own netCDF files.

So, please send any comments, suggestions, problems found.

Other tools for browsing netCDF files:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf_tools.html

Enjoy

Pedro Vicente