[Nexus] NXroot attribute

Osborn, Raymond rosborn at anl.gov
Sun Apr 24 14:58:48 BST 2016

I have created an issue on the NeXus Github to fix this (https://github.com/nexusformat/definitions/issues/466). The answer to your question is that you should set ‘HDF5_Version' to the version number of the HDF5 library you use. The ‘HDF_version’ refers to the HDF v4 version (before HDF was rebranded as HDF5), and ‘NeXus_version’ refers to the version of the NeXus API, which presumably you don’t use.

The inconsistency in capitalization is regrettable. The NIAC will have to decide whether it’s worth harmonizing them, but both HDF4 and the NeXus API are gradually falling into disuse, so it’s a problem that will wither away if we do nothing about it. We should also probably add ‘h5py_version’ and possibly ‘nexusformat_version’ (for the Python API), so perhaps versioning is getting a bit too complicated.

Ray