[Nexus] Fwd: event data in NeXus data file

Pete Jemian jemian at anl.gov
Fri Mar 10 18:39:41 GMT 2017

including the NeXus discussion forum

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: event data in NeXus data file
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:31:48 -0600
From: Pete Jemian <jemian at anl.gov>
To: Aaron Brewster <asbrewster at lbl.gov>

Aaron:

At the NeXus telco this week, you brought up the question of how to
store event data.  As I recall, the suggestion was to use NXlog.

I'm working on adding a NeXus file writer
(https://github.com/BCDA-APS/suitcase/blob/NeXus-dev/suitcase/nexus.py)
to the NSLS-II BlueSky software suite (http://nsls-ii.github.io/).  That
software records data as events, depositing each as a time-stamped
record into a database.  Later, a tool can extract a stream of events
into an output of their choosing.  The BlueSky software will take charge
of binning those data in time and providing suitable arrays.

Attached is an example file of useless data from the unit test suite
that shows the structure of such event data as a NeXus data file.  It
plots in PyMCA and NeXpy and validates against NeXus definitions release
3.2 with punx.

There is no use of ragged arrays in this file from the unit test suite.

Is this file structured along the lines of the structure that you imagine?

Pete

Pete R. Jemian, Ph.D.                <jemian at anl.gov>
Beam line Controls and Data Acquisition, Group Leader
Advanced Photon Source,   Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL  60439                   630 - 252 - 3189
     Education is the one thing for which people
        are willing to pay yet not receive.