[Nexus] UB matrix in NXsample

Osborn, Raymond rosborn at anl.gov
Mon Apr 10 18:40:50 BST 2017

Dear Armando,
Busing and Levy is quite specific in calling U the orientation matrix, so the description in the NeXus base class, i.e., "Orientation matrix of single crystal sample using Busing-Levy convention: W. R. Busing and H. A. Levy (1967). Acta Cryst. 22, 457-464”, implies that we are talking about U. Whether everyone else uses it that way, I can’t say.

In our own software, we assume that orientation_matrix refers to U and then dynamically generate B from the unit cell parameters. That way, the orientation matrix should, at least in principle, be fixed during an experiment while heating or cooling the sample. Of course, tweaks might be necessary if the sample shifts. I suppose we could add a UB matrix to the list of stored parameters in a NeXus file even though it is technically redundant.

We have another issue to do with where we store the orientation matrix (sample or detector). In principle, the NXsample group is the correct location, but there are circumstances where we would prefer it to be in the NXdetector group, but that should be the subject of another thread.

With best regards,
Ray