[Nexus] Nexpy

V. Armando Solé sole at esrf.fr
Thu Jun 15 09:21:56 BST 2017

Hello,

On 15/06/2017 09:17, Carlos Pascual wrote:
> And, on the other hand, if the NIAC does bless nexusformat as the preferred
> access method for python, I think it should be stated unambiguously in the
> manual.

Well, at the ESRF Python programmers are using h5py.

However we recommend scientists to use nexusformat as a simpler tool
because they often work with interactive sessions.
As you see our point of view is that nexusformat is just a convenience
tool on top of h5py being the later the standard (Python) tool to access
HDF5 files.

What we do not recommend at all is to use the NeXus library from Python
(or from anywhere else).

The use of NAPI was unambiguously discouraged by the NIAC in past NIAC
meetings in favour of standard tools. However I never understood why
trainings were kept going on around an API that was considered obsolete.

Best,

Armando