[Nexus] Nexpy

Tobias Richter Tobias.Richter at esss.se
Thu Jun 15 12:22:02 BST 2017

The closest thing to an official statement is that there is no official statement what APIs people should use. That choice is for the facility or individual user to make based on their needs and preferences. To determine whether your output is valid you can check with (c)nxvalidate. Validation tools can be improved and not everything is currently caught, but they are a better thing to standardise on than forcing APIs on people.

In the absence of any boundary conditions python/nexusformat/NeXpy is a very fine option. Many NeXus features have appropriate high level abstractions and Ray et al do a very good job supporting this (shown for example in this thread).

By the way: Both for the new-style plot axes and for the CIF-style geometry NeXus does use attribute arrays, which is even supported in the legacy NAPI. In both cases the arrays are tiny, commonly less than 5 elements.

Best wishes,
Tobias