[Nexus] building Nexus in windows

freddie.akeroyd at stfc.ac.uk freddie.akeroyd at stfc.ac.uk
Sun Jul 2 22:20:10 BST 2017

Hi Chiara,

The files like  nsis_install.nsh  in the InstallerBits  folder are used by the NeXus CMake build process to generate an installer for the NeXus library once it is compiled. If you wish to build NeXus from source on Windows there are instructions at https://github.com/nexusformat/code/blob/master/README.rst however in your case you can probably use one of the pre-build installers instead.

*         There is an older NeXus 4.3.1 install kit at https://github.com/nexusformat/code/releases?after=4.3.1

*         I've put builds of NeXus 4.4.1 and 4.4.3 at http://download.nexusformat.org/kits/temp/

You can either run the exe, which installs NeXus to a standard location, or you can unpack the zip file. Are you using Microsoft Visual Studio or MinGW to compile your program on Windows? With Visual Studio you will need to link your program again NeXus.lib and then include the DLL files in the "bin" directory with your application. As well as being different versions of NeXus, the above kits are also compiled with different versions of Visual Studio, so if your application doesn't work with the most recent one it would be worth trying the older ones.  I haven't used MinGW for a while, but I seem to recall being able to link directly again a  DLL and it  "auto importing", but if that doesn't work I can either generate you a MigGW import library for the NeXus DLL (the Visual Studio .lib files didn't used to work with MinGW, but that might have changed) or I will try building a full MinGW NeXus library directly. If you are using MinGW and the NeXus C interface in your program then the Visual Studio DLL libraries should work, however if you are using the NeXus C++ interface it will need a MinGW compiled NeXus library.

Regards,

Freddie