[Nexus] Correct way to specify multiple signals

Jacob.Filik at Diamond.ac.uk Jacob.Filik at Diamond.ac.uk
Thu Jan 11 11:27:38 GMT 2018

Thanks, that’s great! I will have a read. (And maybe try and get someone here to produce the equivalent).

Jake

-----Original Message-----
From: NeXus [mailto:nexus-bounces at shadow.nd.rl.ac.uk] On Behalf Of V. Armando Solé
Sent: 11 January 2018 11:04
To: nexus at nexusformat.org
Subject: Re: [Nexus] Correct way to specify multiple signals

Hi Jacob,

Sure, I can send you my proposal as I have it ready since long ago as part of my recommendations for the ESRF. The text is extracted from https://gitlab.esrf.fr/sole/data_policy/blob/master/ESRF_NeXusImplementation.rst

Probably you will see it better by clicking the previous link and going to the relevant section, but the relevant part follows:

**Processed Data**
Our goal is to store a maximum of information and to minimize the number of files. All that can be achieved creating an HDF5 group with information related to each data processing step in which it is critical to have

Program used
Configuration paramters
Results
Order in the data treatment sequence

In the NeXus convention this can be achieved by using a slightly extended NXprocess group:
entry/
entry/start_time
entry/end_time
entry/title
entry/process_name at NXprocess
entry/process_name/program
entry/process_name/version
entry/process_name/date
entry/process_name/sequence_index
entry/process_name/configuration at NXcollection if the analysis code understands HDF5 entry/process_name/configuration at format=“ini” or whatever … if string entry/process_name/results at NXcollection or NXdata if plot

The extension to the original NeXus NXprocess description is the configuration and results fields. Probably this can be brought closer to NeXus conventions by adding some of the concepts of the NXnote class like file_name and type (containing Mime content type) as attributes of the configuration entry. This is particularly interesting in the case the configuration consists on a binary representation of a file understood by the analysis program.