[Nexus] Correct way to specify multiple signals

Peter.Chang at Diamond.ac.uk Peter.Chang at Diamond.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 09:18:57 GMT 2018

Hi all,

Perhaps a better solution would be to have an attribute in a parent group. For presenting fitted results from some process:

my_fit:NXprocess/
   @display_data=["fit ", "data"]
   fit:NXdata/
   data:NXdata/
   fitting:NXnote/
   fit_parameters:NXparameters/

Regards,
 Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: NeXus [mailto:nexus-bounces at shadow.nd.rl.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Jacob.Filik at Diamond.ac.uk
Sent: 12 January 2018 08:56
To: nexus at shadow.nd.rl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [Nexus] Correct way to specify multiple signals

Dear Armando, All,

Thank you for the extra clarification, I will check with the others, but I believe this is functionality Diamond would be interested in.

I believe there is still merit in having discussion on the implementation.

As I see it:

Pete suggested auxiliary_signals which effectively gives back the signal =1, signal = 2 feature, I'm sure someone more experienced in NeXus can explain why this was not included in the 2014 tagging, I assume it was just simplicity.

To me the addition of auxiliary_axes is a new feature, which is convenient and useful, not all data on one plot needs the same axes, but thinking on this addition this now appears equivalent to making another NXdata inside the primary NXdata, but without any encapsulation and requiring new logic to correctly interpret an NXData group.

I would suggest instead of auxiliary_signals and auxiliary_axes NXdata groups should contain explicit NXdata groups for all the auxiliary datasets. We all have code that parses the NXdata structure, the addition if (nxdata contains nxdata) branch feels more simple that auxiliary_signal parsing.

I'm not sure but I think and NXdata in and NXdata is fine, so the only addition I would suggests this needs to the standard is to explicitly state "placing an NXdata inside another NXdata signifies they can be plotted on the same plot".

Kind regards,

Jake