[Nexus] Beamline description using Nexus

Benjamin Watts benjamin.watts at psi.ch
Mon Jan 22 14:30:30 GMT 2018

Hi Heike,
    Just a quick answer on your final question: To describe a beamline,
you should focus on the NXinstument base class:
http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/base_classes/NXinstrument.html#nxinstrument

An application definition describes the necessary components/ingredients
required to adequately define a particular type of experiment. Hence, an
application definition might give some requirements for the instrument
description, but it is also possible that it doesn't (just certain data
types being recorded could be enough to satisfy the application
definition). So while the application definition for a particular
experiment is worth checking when you want to describe a beamline that
performs the corresponding experiment, don't expect it to give you a
simple checklist you can complete and declare the job is "done". I would
recommend that you just go through each component of the beamline and
add items to the NXinstrument until you are satisfied.

It is also very likely you will find shortcomings in the NeXus base
classes. You are doing the right thing by asking for advice on this
list, but please also be prepared to make extensions to the base classes
in order to make your apparatus correctly specified. We don't expect
NeXus to be complete and we will be happy to update the standard with
any reasonable extension you propose.

Cheers,
Ben