[Nexus] NeXus for pixelated STEM data: Google Hangout and hackmd.io shared editing

Dieter Weber d.weber at fz-juelich.de
Wed May 23 13:50:47 BST 2018

Dear all,

you are cordially invited to join our joint development Google Hangout
for pixelated STEM data in the NeXus format on the 29th of May 2018 from
13:00 to 15:00 Berlin time.

The general plan is to bring our pixelated STEM and NeXus know-how
together to create a first draft for a format definition.

Google hangout:
https://hangouts.google.com/group/oixw0my0bsfBKmS92

Web-based shared editor to work together:
https://hackmd.io/g6f77f2TRJm_cveiIgNFSQ?both

My proposal would be to use the shared editor to create a script that
builds a valid and useful NeXus file from raw data. This could be our
basis to define the format.

Proposed agenda:

1. Setting up the call
2. Testing the shared editor
3. General discussion: TEM vs X-Ray vs neutrons -- what is similar,
where are differences that are relevant for the file format.
4. Discuss relevant data for pixelated STEM and how they can be
represented in NeXus
5. Set up high-level structure for file together
6. Separate in teams to work on different parts of the file of we have
more than four people in the call
7. Wrap-up and review of meeting results
8. Next steps

Here are some points for preparation:

* Pre-calculated preview images for display and navigation
* Spot size definition
* Source: Beam energy, energy spread, source type, extractor voltage,
emission current, coherence (?)
* In general, how to handle the TEM-specific optical elements?
Separation between the exact setup of the instrument, control input to
optical elements and resulting beam.
* Illumination, in addition to what is listed: Monochromation, gun lens,
probe size
* Scanning: Positions, timing, scan generator settings
* Detector settings, generic and specific for various models
* Projection: Camera length, rotation, imaging vs. diffraction mode

Looking forward to meet soon!

Greetings,
Dieter

--
Dr. Dieter WEBER

Peter Grünberg Institute, Microstructure Research (PGI-5)
Ernst Ruska-Centre for Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Electrons (ER-C)
Forschungszentrum Jülich
52425 Jülich, Germany

Email: d.weber at fz-juelich.de
Phone: +49 2461 61 85118