[Nexus] Summary Hangout NeXus format for Pixelated STEM

Dieter Weber d.weber at fz-juelich.de
Wed May 30 12:12:11 BST 2018

Dear all,

thank you for the productive call and your contributions! As agreed,
here's a short summary.

Participants: Magnus Nord (UAntwerpen), Michael Cao (Cornell), Pete
Jemian (APS), Vadim Migunov, Alex Clausen, Dieter Weber (FZ Jülich)

We developed a mockup NeXus tree with comments and TODO items in a
shared editor: https://hackmd.io/g6f77f2TRJm_cveiIgNFSQ?both

I've saved the current draft in the LiberTEM GitHub repository as well
for safekeeping:
https://github.com/LiberTEM/LiberTEM/blob/master/fileformat/draft%20NeXus%20tree.txt

Next steps:

* Please comment and modify the draft! You can just add comments and
make changes in the shared editor if you like, or send feedback on the
mailing list.
* Continue with Magnus' work to build readers and writers as soon as the
draft stabilizes
* Implement in relevant software for testing.

I'm very happy about our progress, thanks again to all contributors, and
I'm looking forward to continue on this path together!

Greetings,
Dieter

Appendix: Links from the Hangout chat

http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/base_classes/NXsource.html#nxsource
http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/applications/NXstxm.html#nxstxm
https://github.com/prjemian/spec2nexus/blob/master/src/spec2nexus/eznx.py#L182
http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/utilities.html?highlight=validation#validation
http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/base_classes/NXpositioner.html#nxpositioner
http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/base_classes/NXtransformations.html#nxtransformations
http://download.nexusformat.org/sphinx/classes/base_classes/NXpositioner.html
http://cansas-org.github.io/canSAS2012/examples.html#d-image
Contact at HDF Group regarding chunking: Elena Pourmal
<epourmal at hdfgroup.org>
http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/datarules.html?highlight=unidata#nexus-data-units
thumbnail images are a proposal in NeXus that looks like it is
converging to implementation:
https://github.com/nexusformat/definitions/issues/381
NeXus conference call (biweekly)
https://www.nexusformat.org/Teleconferences.html

--
Dr. Dieter WEBER

Peter Grünberg Institute, Microstructure Research (PGI-5)
Ernst Ruska-Centre for Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Electrons (ER-C)
Forschungszentrum Jülich
52425 Jülich, Germany

Email: d.weber at fz-juelich.de
Phone: +49 2461 61 85118