[Nexus] Split datasets?

Carlos Pascual cpascual at cells.es
Tue Apr 9 08:10:26 BST 2019

Hi,
Don't HDF5 "virtual datasets" help you with this?

https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/docNewFeatures/
NewFeaturesVirtualDatasetDocs.html

http://docs.h5py.org/en/stable/vds.html

They are an HDF5 thing, but I guess they are transparent for nexus.

(sorry if I totally missed the point)

Carlos

On Monday, April 8, 2019 7:41:46 PM CEST Benjamin Watts wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>     One of our beamlines wants to write write data into a
> Nexus-compatible file. The problem is that the hardware/software
> combination is a bit strange and wants to write the data in pieces. This
> is an XRF detector used in a scanning experiment such that a spectrum is
> recorded for each step along the scan. The detector wants to fill up its
> buffer with scans and then dump them into an HDF5 dataset. If it would
> just append to a single dataset then it would be fine, but no that
> doesn't seem to work. Do we have a scheme in NeXus for describing how a
> set of datasets should be appended together when reading? I feel like we
> discussed a similar issue previously with a very fast 2D detector that
> would write data in sets of ~100 frames into separate files that would
> be linked to by a master file. I haven't been able to find anything on
> the topic - does anyone else remember further details?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

 Carlos Pascual Izarra
 Scientific Software Coordinator
 Computing Division
 ALBA Synchrotron  [http://www.albasynchrotron.es]
 Carrer de la Llum 2-26
 E-08290 Cerdanyola del Valles (Barcelona), Spain
 E-mail: cpascual at cells.es
 Phone: +34 93 592 4428