[NeXus-committee] New NeXus CVS repository

Akeroyd, FA (Freddie) F.A.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 13 13:09:08 BST 2003

The new (reorganised) CVS repository is now open for business. Currently
the NeXus install kit will not build as all the paths will be wrong, so that
will
be the first thing to sort out. The new repository is called "nexus" and on
the
server "nexus.isis.rl.ac.uk" - the old repository is archived read-only
under "nexus-old".
I have moved the file revision history along with the files, so the previous
changes to
a file will still be visible and revision numbers are preserved.
There are a few administrative bits that need to be decided on.
(1) Currently you can retrieve an old NeXus kit from the new repository by
    specifying an old tag name; the price for this is maintaining the empty
old directories
    in the new repository, which will appear on a checkout unless pruned
with the "-P" option.
    To remove these blank directories from the repository would require
restricting
    access to old kits (tags) to the separate "nexus-old" area only.
(2) Moved files have kept tags associated with their old location; these may
be informative,
    but if you checkout the whole nexus kit using one of these tags you will
get two copies
    of the file (the old removed file will be retrieved to its old location
and the same
    file will also appear in the new location). For consistency old tags
should be removed
    on the new file location, but we may wish to leave them there for
information purposes;
    if we do we should only checkout old versions using "nexus-old" and then
we may as well
    remove the old directories too.

Any comments/preferences?

The CVS access accounts currently created are:

uf    Uwe Filges
pk    Przemek Klosowski
mk    Mark Koennecke
ncm   Nick Maliszewskyj
cmm   Chris Moreton-Smith
rio   Ray Osborn
jzt   Jon Tischler
faa   Freddie Akeroyd
jk    Jens Krueger
jb    Joern Beckmann
pfp   Peter Peterson

If anybody else need write access, please send me an email. If you only
require read access,
this can be done without an account as detailed below.

For write access you will first need to execute a "cvs login" with the
password which I
will mail to each of you e.g.

cvs -d :pserver:faa at nexus.isis.rl.ac.uk:/isis/cvs/repository login

You only need to log in once per computer - the password is then stored
locally. After login,
you can get a copy of the files for account faa with e.g.

cvs -d :pserver:faa at nexus.isis.rl.ac.uk:/isis/cvs/repository co nexus

The "-d :pserver:faa at nexus.isis.rl.ac.uk:/isis/cvs/repository" string will
not be required
once you are working in the NeXus directory which is created during checkout

Non-developers who wish to have access to the latest source code can obtain
this
via read-only anonymous access (no password or account required). Access is
via
the "anonymous" account e.g.

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at nexus.isis.rl.ac.uk:/isis/cvs/repository co nexus

Alternatively, they can use the web interface at
http://nexus.isis.rl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi

As well as "co nexus" and "co nexus-old", editors will be able to use "co
nexus-definitions"
to access only the XML definitions areas (the nexus/definitions directory)

As before, any changes to the nexus source code area will result in an email
being
sent to nexus-developers at anl.gov detailing the changes

Regards,

Freddie

P.S. I am putting together some web pages detailing access for people who
are less familiar
with using CVS - I will send a note when these are done.