[NeXus-committee] Questionaire Reminder

Jiro SUZUKI jiro.suzuki at j-parc.jp
Tue Sep 18 02:06:53 BST 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the reminder.
This is the response of the questionnaire from J-PARC / Neutron facility.

Thanks,
     Jiro

>* Facility name
>Neutron Scattering faclitiy, J-PARC
>
>* Number of files/beamlines/instruments producing NeXus files
>10 beamlines
>
>* Number of files/beamlines/instruments producing NeXus files in 2 years
>time
>6 beamlines
>
>* Barriers found for increasing NeXus use
>+ Many instruments are producing NeXus but users don't recognize the
>benefit of NeXus: users want to bring their data with existing "data
>format" such as ASCII, mslice, gsas and so on.

>+ slow I/O rate for large data of over GB

Binary data format which is produced with Boost C++ serialization library is used in data analysis procedures, because the I/O rate with Boost library is much faster than that with NeXus. The binary files are temporary files, and not archive files for a long term.

>* Priorities for the NeXus community should be
>+ needs to find or establish something that only NeXus can do.

We think that experimental and also analyzed data should be archived in NeXus format, because they should and can be read in future.

Jiro Suzuki
jiro.suzuki at j-parc.jp
Tel : 029-864-5200 + 4487
Fax : 029-864-4402