[NeXus-committee] Questionaire Reminder

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Thu Sep 20 06:53:17 BST 2012

I think Armando's summary highlights a communication problem that we are having with data analysis developers. They don't see the advantages over just using HDF5, but the whole point is that HDF5 files are only self-describing if there are established conventions for what to put in them, that are valuable even if they are not strict rules. Perhaps people writing their own data analysis code don't care, because they know what their own files contain, but somehow we have to persuade people that NeXus is not just another API.

I don't know how this fits into the NIAC agenda, but it's been an important issue at the APS, where some have complained about needing to install a new API.

Ray