[NeXus-committee] DECTRIS example summary

"V. Armando Solé" sole at esrf.fr
Mon Jan 14 15:10:03 GMT 2013

On 14/01/2013 15:51, Watts Benjamin wrote:
> I think that everyone is looking at the Dectris data the wrong way. It
> is a single data array and is only broken up into separate files because
> of performance issues. Therefore, ideally, all the data shoud be written
> into a single NXdata group. Since we are forced to receive it in
> separate files, linking is an obvious solution. However, links in NeXus
> have always been discrete - mapping one location to one array in another
> location. Our situation here is different, with the one array being
> separated into a number of pieces in different locations. The master
> file needs some way of saying "my data is there, and then continues
> there, and there and there...", which does not yet exist (to the best of
> my knowledge). Options for doing this include:
>
> 1. The NXdata group of the master file contains a list of external
> links, with the order of the list describing the order in which the
> linked arrays should be concatenated.
> 2. The master NXdata group links to the first part of the array and then
> the file containing that first part has some record pointing to where
> the data is continued.
> 3. Both could be done together.
>
> Option #1 seems best to me.

Well I do not have anything against your option 1. In particular the
already approved(?) new way of adding the NXdata plot attributes to the
group and not to the datasets themselves make things even simpler.

Option 2 - I really do not like it. It involves accessing at least two
files to know what to do.

Armando