[NeXus-committee] NIAC in Japan

Wintersberger, Eugen eugen.wintersberger at desy.de
Fri May 23 08:29:06 BST 2014

Hi
On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 09:00:58AM +0200, Mark Könnecke wrote:

>* Are you going to travel to Japan to attend NIAC and/or NOBUGS?

I definitely won't go to Japan. Not only because it is rather far it is also
because there is the RDA meeting in Amsterdam at the same time where I hope to
do some HDF5 business.

>* How open are you to the idea of having virtual NIAC meetings? Will you be able to
>  participate?

I guess it not really a question how open we are upon this. As a matter of fact
in particular our US colleagues have serious problems to get their traveling
funded. And I do not have the impression that this situation will change soon.

However, besides the technical issues, having virtual NIAC meetings would have
an additional benefit: we could meet more often and thus get things done
quicker as it is currently the case.

>The tech sub committee will start evaluating the necessary technology. If you know of any
>free or commercial teleconferencing system which works nicely across continents, please
>let us know. So far we have Google Hangout, Skype group meetings and Adobe Connect on
>our list of  things to evaluate.

Yes - we definitely need to find a working technical solution ;)

regards
   Eugen

>Best Regards,
>

>       Mark Koennecke