[NeXus-committee] NXgroup: undocumented or inofficial?

Osborn, Raymond rosborn at anl.gov
Wed Jul 9 04:13:07 BST 2014

I don’t know if this will just add to the confusion, but the Python API uses classes of NXgroup and NXfield as base classes for all other NeXus objects, i.e., all the other NeXus group classes, such as NXentry, NXsample, etc, are inherited from the NXgroup class. NXgroup was chosen partly because it wasn’t in the list of base class definitions (I confess I'm not sure I knew that it was once part of the standard) and because it’s an obvious name for a base class (in the object-oriented sense).

So I would request that NXgroup not be used for another purpose. If we ever resurrect the idea of making the NeXus definitions object-oriented (I assume those discussions are dead, but I am probably out of the loop), then NXgroup would make a good base class name.

Ray
P.S. This might not be so different from what Herbert wanted to use NXgroup for, but I’m not sure I fully understood his proposal.