[NeXus-committee] Sustainable science with HDF

Ted Habermann thabermann at hdfgroup.org
Tue Jul 15 19:30:41 BST 2014

Hello All,
As the Director of Earth Science at The HDF Group I am very interested in how HDF is used to share data within various scientific communities. I am particularly interested in conventions that those communities use to describe relevant data objects and the connections between those “science” data objects and the underlying “computer science”, i.e. HDF5, data objects.
Last week I became aware of a group called Working Towards Sustainable Software for Science: Practice and Experiences (WSSSPE). It is clear that a standard data format that is flexible enough to be used across a wide variety of disciplines is an important foundation for sustainable software and science. The breadth of HDF users indicates that HDF is such a format.
WSSSPE is holding a second workshop during SuperComputing and has called for 4-page papers that will be used by the organizing committee to design sessions that will be highly interactive and targeted towards facilitating action (see http://wssspe.researchcomputing.org.uk/wssspe2/cfp/).  I would like to pull together a paper for this meeting and invite HDF user community leaders like you to be co-authors.
Of course the deadline is short (extended to next Monday) and summer is upon us. If you could provide a couple of paragraphs about the science data types your community use and stores in HDF, that should be a great start. I will collect this information over the week and pull things together over next weekend.
A draft introduction is attached…
Thanks very much for your continued interest and support,
Ted Habermann