[NeXus-committee] Event-mode

Joachim Wuttke j.wuttke at fz-juelich.de
Wed Jul 16 15:04:47 BST 2014

On 07/16/2014 03:34 PM, Peterson, Peter F. wrote:
> Both SNS and ISIS write out event data that validate using
> the definition and can be read by the same code without specialization.

How can it be that SNS event-mode files validate if they use
the invalid keyword NXgroup, as discussed a few days ago?

Why does the data-reduction program Mantid provide different
loaders for SNS and ISIS data?

I was told that the event-data format at these two facilities
is different because the electronics is different.

My facility has a third type of electronics, with zero pulses
stored as events instead of being used to re-zero the timer
for the neutronic events. It needs only 6 bytes per event,
compared to 64 bytes in SNS-style NeXus. Even if technically
feasible, it would seem foolish to map our compact binaries
upon SNS-style NeXus events.

By embedding our binaries in a NXcollection we can ensure that
our raw-data files are valid NeXus. But we will still need a
loader that knows about our electronics.

- Joachim