[NeXus-committee] Shouldn't we distinguish class type (base|application|interface?) and status (proposed|accepted|obsolescent?|retired?) ?

Joachim Wuttke j.wuttke at fz-juelich.de
Tue Aug 26 14:45:36 BST 2014

Currently, our "category" mixes two distinct properties: the class type
(base, application) and the status (proposed, accepted).

The documentation is not entirely consistent; if I remember correctly,
there are places where "contributed" seems to mean "proposed
application definition", but right now the directory also contains
a proposed base class. This is confusing, and it precludes the
introduction of new class types (interfaces?) or statūs (obsolescent
and retired?).

I suggest a simple solution: split "category" into "type" and "status".

Could you please comment at
   https://github.com/nexusformat/definitions/issues/298

Does this require a vote?

- Joachim