[NeXus-committee] NXroot is required - or should be made so

Herbert J. Bernstein yayahjb at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 12:38:07 BST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

  This is actually a trickier and more subtle issue than it might at
first appear. And HDF5 "file" is actually more like a file system in
which it is perfectly legitimate to nest multiple HDF5 trees into a
larger one.    More than one completely independent NeXus file could
easily exist within the same overall HDF5 file serving as the file
system.  What I would suggest is:

"The root of a NeXus file has the attribute NX_class="NXroot" as a
node within an HDF5 file.  Most commonly, but not necessariiy, that
node will also be the root of the containing HDF5 file.  If a NeXus
file is started with an NXroot further down in the containing HDF5
file, the nodes of the NeXus file will not refer to nodes outside
NeXus file, except through the HDF5 external link mechanism, just as
if they were is different files."

  Regards,
    Herbert