[NeXus-committee] where to publish: why not open access?

Osborn, Raymond rosborn at anl.gov
Fri Oct 3 12:38:15 BST 2014

Although NIM-A is probably a reasonable journal for this kind of publication, I actually signed a pledge a few years back never to publish in or referee for an Elsevier journal because, as a member of the Argonne Library Committee, I saw how exorbitant their costs were compared to other higher impact journals and the impact it was having on the library budget (http://www.nature.com/news/elsevier-boycott-gathers-pace-1.10010). They also screwed up our page counts by formatting errors when I was publication chair of a major conference, but fortunately I had been warned this often happened, and we had a prior agreement that they would cover the cost if they made a mistake. So it’s fair to say, I’m not a fan of Elsevier.

I wouldn’t expect to impose my pledge on others if the rest of the co-authors are strongly in favor of NIM-A, but I thought I should mention it.

Ray